Monday, June 17, 2019

hi, it's me again.

Good Day, Internet!

It's been a solid 8-9 years before my last post. I even tried to start a new blog in that time, abandoned that one too. I gave myself the excuse that I was too busy. Most likely just so dead inside that I couldn't get myself to commit 30 minutes a week to some thoughtful musings.

I've decided to reprise this blog, and not the other one that I started after I moved to NYC, because this is special. I've been working for the past 7 years and I wanted to contrast a whole bunch of things:

1) How I've evolved (and devolved) as a human/thinker/pop culture consumer.
2) How the internet has evolved (and devolved) in the past 7-8 years.
3) How media and representation has evolved/devolved in the past years. (hellloooooo reboots!)

Movie montage catch up of the last 7-8 years:

- Moved to NYC
- Got dumped
- Changed careers 2 times
- Fell in love

- Got a dog
- Got married

Enough about me, let's get back into it, like the good ol' days.

How the Internet has changed in the past 7-8 years.

Media on the internet has consolidated.



In the early 2010s, media companies saw the value of niche publications on the internet and decided that they wanted a piece of that dollar pie. Websites like AfterEllen was something I visited more frequently than FaceBook.

You could google "LGBTQ Representation in _________" and only see a handful of results (hopefully this blog too!) Nowadays... you'd find blogs, Facebook rants, Instagram posts, tweets, for nearly every topic and every angle of the topic.

How has media and representation has evolved/devolved in the past years.


Something happened in the 2000s and people forgot that women are people too.

In 2019, we have laws in Alabama and Georgia to remind us that women aren't 100% safe. So we're doing this women's movement again in 2019.

This is why it's important that we continue to remind people that we can't be complacent. 

This is why media need to continue to represent women in strong, independent roles. Social media is now a huge part of your everyday media. 

What does this all mean?

So why am I interested in contributing to over-information?

I have too much time, okay?

No. With the convergence of how we consume media and what the internet has available, more than ever, we need to be mindful about what information is presented to us. We are all entitled to our beliefs. Which means, we should be very picky about what we should consider as truth.

I've gotten too much time on my hands, and I hope to be an extra voice in the universe in interpreting 'truth'.




1 comment: